Amathera Aelfdene Casmir Lounault
A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion confirming the information available in the main story arc.
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Amathera has many of the physical characteristics that are common to Taraboner females. She wears her long, dark hair in multiple braids and has large dark eyes. Her mouth is shaped like a rosebud and is pouty, with a petulant look to it. She has not yet reached middle age and is quite beautiful (TSR, Ch. 52; ACoS, Ch. 26). Amathera takes Snakes and Foxes seriously but is an adequate Stones player (KoD, Ch. 10)
Although Amathera seems to have no clue as to what the lives of the common people are like when she is made Panarch, Elayne thinks that she has a true concern for justice (TSR, Ch. 55). However, at least before being taken captive by the Seanchan, Amathera knows what her position is and knows what she can do and the respect that her position entails. This can often make her seem quite selfish.
- Amathera is rejected by the Assembly of Lords, but is raised to the position of Panarch anyway (TSR, Ch. 46).
- Amathera is taken from the palace to the Three Plum Court, where she is to hide until she is safe (TSR, Ch. 55).
- When Tarabon is invaded by the Seanchan, Amathera is made da'covale. Her name is changed to "Thera" (ACoS, Ch. 26).
- Amathera spends most of her time with Juilin. She is very hesitant and nervous after her captivity (CoT, Ch. 1; Ch. 2; Ch. 3; Ch. 28).
- Egeanin tells Amathera she should look her in the eyes. She and Bayle go off to be with Juilin and Amathera (KoD, Ch. 10).
- When Teslyn, Joline, and Edesina leave for Tar Valon, Amathera goes with them and Juilin, as she does not believe Tear is safe from the Seanchan (ToM, Ch. 17).
Amathera is grateful to Elayne, Egeanin and Nynaeve for rescuing her from the Black Ajah in Tanchico. Even so, she wants to do things her own way until Elayne makes her see sense by using the One Power. After that, Amathera becomes very amenable. When Elayne and Nynaeve leave Tarabon, she gives them a fortune in jewels in payment for rescuing her (TFoH, Ch. 9).
After her captivity by the Seanchan, Amathera spends most of her time with Juilin. Mat hopes that Thera feels more than gratefulness towards Juilin for Juilin's sake. Juilin is very much in love with Thera and she seems to return the affection (CoT, Ch. 2). In any case, he is the only one that she really trusts.
- The Legion of Tarabon is controlled by the Panarch (TSR, Ch. 38).
- In Tanchico, Temaile, one of the Black sisters, makes Amathera sing lewd songs such as:
"My breasts are round, and my hips are too.
I can flatten a whole ship's crew.
My thighs are strong are strong as an anchor chain.
My kiss can burst --" (TSR, Ch. 54).
- Mat thinks that there is nothing to say that a dethroned Panarch cannot fall in love with a thief-catcher; stranger things have happened (CoT, Ch. 2).
- Mat doesn't think that Thera can be trusted (CoT, Ch. 28).
"The others made me sit on my throne and speak the words they put into my mouth. It amused them to make me sometimes give justice, and sometimes pronouncements of horrible injustice, rulings that will cause strife for generations if I cannot put them aright." (Amathera to Elayne and Egeanin about the Black Ajah; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 54).
"I am in agreement, Aes Sedai. I will do exactly as you say, and I will provide papers that should make even the rebels let you pass unhindered. There is no need for more...talking." (Amathera to Elayne, Nynaeve, and Egeanin; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 55).
"It was not very difficult to convince Amathera she should stay in hiding for a few days. It really isn't that far from "The Panarch is dead" to "Death to the Panarch". I think seeing the riot helped, too. She doesn't want to depend on Andric to put her back on her throne; she wants her own soldiers to do it, even if it means hiding until she can get in though with the Lord Captain of the Legion." (Elayne to Nynaeve after saving Amathera; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 55).
"Burn me, why?" Mat growled. "Renna was always ready to lick my bloody wrist! I thought if anybody went over the edge...!" He did not even glance at Thera, but Juilin still scowled at him darkly (Mat; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 29).