A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
An angreal is an object that allows a person to channel more of the One Power than they would be able to unaided. the making of them was lost during the Breaking, but individual angreal survived. Though the general population knows little of them, many of the stories about Aes Sedai feature angreal, so their existence and the fact they help Aes Sedai do things they couldn't otherwise, is generally known (TEotW, Ch. 8). The Tower has a number of angreal and by law considers all angreal to be their property (ACoS, Ch. 10). Aes Sedai are required to turn in any they find and punishment for not doing so can be quite severe, though as the temptation is easy to understand, it rarely is (ACoS, Ch. 32). They are kept with the sa'angreal in a secure storeroom. Liandrin and the other Black Ajah tried to break in when they fled, but failed (TGH, Ch. 13). They come in a wide range of size and shapes, neither of which is any guide to how strong they are (TSR, Ch. 22). It is possible to use more than one angreal at the same time, or at least to use an angreal and a sa'angreal together, the angreal's strength just being added on top (TSR, Ch. 58).
- An item carved out of ivory and in the shape of a woman in flowing robes, used by Moiraine (TEotW, Ch. 1)
- A small amber brooch in the shape of a turtle, found in the cache from Ebou Dar (TPoD, Ch. 3)
- A gold bracelet, attached by four flat chains to finger rings, every bit of it engraved in an intricate mazelike pattern, with a tiny lock, complete with a minuscule tubular key dangling from a fine chain, obviously made to be removed (TPoD, Ch. 4)
- A seated woman in age dark ivory, her legs folded in front of her, her knees bare but with hair so long and luxuriant she could not have been more muffled in the heaviest cloak. One hand rests on a knee, palm up so the thumb touched the tips of the middle two fingers; the other hand is lifted, with the first two fingers raised and the others folded (TPoD, Ch. 4)
- A hand sized carving of shiny green stone, a round faced round bodied man sitting cross legged with a sword across his knees, found in the Stone of Tear (TSR, Ch. 22)'
- A circle of age-dark ivory of a man bending backwards, wrists and ankles bound together (TFoH, Ch. 52)
- A weathered stone figurine of a woman, seemingly unclothed, but wrapped in hair that falls to her ankles (TSR, Ch. 11)
- A small brooch, a translucent stone carved with what appeared to be a lily with too many petals, in Verin's possession. It is not very strong (TPoD, Prologue).
- An unknown angeal found by Josaine ACoS, Ch. 32)
- An unknown angeal taken from the storeroom by Adelorna ACoS, Ch. 32)
- A ring, a plain golden band found amongst Sammael's things (TPoD, Ch. 12).
- A shrike, in Cadsuane's hair ornaments (WH, Ch. 35).
- A small carved ivory knife, traded by Mesaana (ToM, Epilogue).