A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
Author: Koralei Marin
Bael is the clan chief of the Goshien Aiel. Bael is the tallest man that Rand has ever seen. He has a hard, sun-dark face, as do the other clan chiefs. Grey streaks his dark-reddish hair (LoC, Ch. 10), and he has blue or gray eyes (CoT, Prologue).
- Bael is among the gathering of clan chiefs at Rhuidean. There is a blood feud between Bael's Goshien and the Shaarad Aiel, led by Jheran. They will not fight at Rhuidean, but they are obviously uncomfortable and sit as far from each other as possible. Bael agrees with Jheran that the Shaido are "honorless dogs". He has no sympathy for the Cairhienin and tells Rand that he should have "let the tree killers starve" (TFoH, Ch. 2).
- Melaine laments the fact that he has become closed-mouthed about his dealings with Rand. She decides that as she cannot stay away from Bael and she cannot kill him, she will ask Dorindha to accept her as sister-wife and make a bridal wreath to lay at Bael's feet (TFoH, Ch. 5).
- Melaine and Bael are married and Melaine and Dorindha are made sister-wives. Apparently Bael knew nothing of the wedding until Melaine laid the bridal wreath at his feet and asked him. At the wedding, as soon as the vows are said, a hundred of Melaine's kin and a hundred of Bael's rush around them, separating them (unveiled of course) and he had to fight his way to her. When he reaches Melaine, though she had been professing her love minutes earlier, she fights like a "cornered ridgecat", likely according to tradition (TFoH, Ch. 21).
- Bael is with Rand as he tries to track down the Shaido looting and burning across the country. He asks Rand about the fifth (TFoH, Ch. 23).
- Rand's ability to affect those around him as ta'veren has caused the Goshien led by Bael and the Shaarad led by Jheran to mend the blood feud between their people (TFoH, Ch. 30).
- Bael stays with Rand as an advisor and is there when he meets with the Cairhienin and Tairen nobility (TFoH, Ch. 41).
- Only Rhuarc and Bael remain of the clan chiefs that Rand can really trust. They are the last two who marched with him from Rhuidean (TFoH, Ch. 51).
- Bael is leading men from all the Aiel societies, waiting for Rand to make a platform for them to Travel. When they arrive in Caemlyn, Bael leads the Aiel out before Rand to be sure that the way is clear and safe (TFoH, Ch. 54).
- After Rand defeats Rahvin, Bael informs him that the Shadowtwisted and Nightrunners are fleeing and that some of the "wetlanders" joined in the battle against them (TFoH, Ch. 55).
- Bael accompanies Rand around the palace as part of his guard. Bael informs Rand of events taking place in and around Caemlyn, including tiles falling from a roof unbroken in the shape of the ancient Aes Sedai symbol, and that two Aes Sedai have taken rooms at in inn in the New City (LoC, Ch. 10).
- The Wise Ones send Melaine to speak with her husband, Bael. Rand feels that they are trying to be sure that Rand doesn't influence Bael the wrong way (LoC, Ch. 19).
- Melaine rushes off to tell Bael that she is bearing twin daughters; he will be happy, as Dorindha has given him three sons but no daughters (LoC, Ch. 41).
- Bael is standing guard over Rand during an audience with the Aes Sedai from the Little Tower (LoC, Ch. 49).
- Rand wants to reach Bael, whom he left in charge of policing Caemlyn with Bashere, before he is recognized. Bael offers his spears to Rand's service, once again; this time against the White Tower. Bael is excited when Rand says that it is time to march on Illian at last (ACoS, Ch. 7).
- Bael is offended that the new claimants to the Lion Throne in Caemlyn seem to be disregarding the Aiel presence (CoT, Prologue).
- Rand sends Bael instructions, which he is to share with no one; these instructions must have something to do with Bael going to Arad Doman (KoD, Ch. 15).
- Bael meets with Rand (TGS, Ch. 7).
- Bael asks why Rand doesn't just take control of Arad Doman (TGS, Ch. 7).
- Rand tells Bael and Rhuarc to seize the council members. Neither like it, but they agree (TGS, Ch. 7).
- Bael attends the meeting at the Field of Merrilor where the Dragon's Peace is signed. Along with the other Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones, he discusses Rand and Perrin's proposal that the Aiel will act as mediators of disputes for countries that have signed the Dragon's Peace. Although they know it will mean "an end to the Aiel" as they are now (AMoL, Ch. 6), they agree (AMoL, Ch. 7).
- Bael is amongst the Aiel who fight alongside Elayne to draw the Trollocs from Caemlyn (AMoL, Ch. 26).
- Bael informs Tam that none of his Aiel have been given scouting duty during the march to Cairhien because he had been told that Tam's men were doing the scouting. This was part of the confusion that Davram Bashere was unknowingly involved in instigating due to Hessalam's compulsion (AMoL, Ch. 26).
Bael is married to Dorindha, Roofmistress of the Smoke Springs Hold, and Melaine the Wise One. He is clan chief of the Goshien Aiel and he was a member of the Knife Hands (Sovin Nai) before becoming clan chief (LoC, Ch. 10). He is one of the few Aiel still alive who followed Rand from Rhuidean, and Rand trusts him. He and Davram Bashere have been left in charge of keeping peace in Caemlyn.
Bael has three sons by his wife Dorindha and his wife Melaine is carrying twin girls.
Bael and the Goshien were initially engaged in a blood feud with the Shaarad, led by Jheran. This was settled due to the influence of Rand as a ta'veren.
"Young men," Bael said indulgently. "A young man chases shadows and runs from moonlight, and in the end he stabs himself in the foot with his own spear." (Lord of Chaos, Chapter 10)
"Wives are a great comfort," Bael laughed, "if a man does not tell them too much." (A Crown of Swords, Chapter 7)