Author: Estyrien al'Halien
Romanda Cassin is an Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah and is a Sitter in the Hall-in-exile (ACoS, Ch. 12). She had a previous term as Sitter for eighty years (CoT, Ch. 19), one of the longest in history (KoD, Ch. 23). When she arrived in Salidar, she wanted Dagdara to have a seat in the Hall, but Magla was able to use her influence as a current Sitter to get Salita chosen (KoD, Ch. 23). Romanda disapproves of allowing older women to become Novices and thinks that there ought to be some way to get rid of them, but if not, the Yellow won't accept them. She especially dislikes the influence Sharina has on the younger Novices, but begins to reconsider her views when she learns Sharina and some of the other older women have a strong Talent for the new Healing (KoD, Ch. 23). Part of her wishes Siuan hadn't been healed and knows that just because she lost her strength in the Power wouldn't mean she lost her capacity for scheming (TGS, Ch. 26)
- 973 NE: Romanda leaves the Hall and goes into retirement (TPoD, Ch. 18).
- 999 NE: Romanda comes out of retirement and travels to Salidar to join the rebel Aes Sedai (TPoD, Ch. 18).
- Romanda is given a chair in the Hall-in-exile (LoC, Ch. 15)
- Romanda makes a speech to the sisters in Salidar, telling them that they have nothing to fear from the Tower's emissary (LoC, Ch. 15).
- Romanda and the rebel Aes Sedai leave Salidar and move towards Tar Valon (LoC, Ch. 44).
- Romanda suggests to Egwene that the soldiers in the Rebel's army should be paid less (ACoS, Ch. 8).
- Romanda and Lelaine talk to Egwene about Delana's proposal concerning Elaida and the Black Ajah (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Romanda asks Egwene to issue a decree for all sisters to be questioned to find out if they are Black Ajah (ACoS, Ch. 12).
- Romanda, Lelaine and Egwene discuss the Atha'an Miere gathering in Caemlyn and Cairhien (TPoD, Ch. 16).
- Romanda demands that Egwene let Romanda speak for her when they meet with the Andoran and Murandian nobles (TPoD, Ch. 16).
- Romanda, Egwene and the other Sitters meet with the Andoran and Murandian nobles (TPoD, Ch. 16).
- Romanda refuses to stand in support of declaring war against Elaida (TPoD, Ch. 18).
- Romanda stands in support of an alliance with the Black Tower (CoT, Ch. 19).
- Romanda sends two sisters to Cairhien to see the sisters who had been Stilled and then Healed by Damer Flinn (CoT, Ch. 30).
- Romanda talks with Egwene about the Kin and is horrified to learn that Egwene wants sisters to be released from the Three Oaths when they retire (CoT, Ch. 30).
- When Jahar proposes that Aes Sedai be allowed to bond forty seven Asha'man, she is the one who makes the proposal that it be accepted (KoD, Ch. 23).
- When Jahar informs the Hall that a woman channeling saidin killed Eben and that a man had tried to listen in on the proceedings, Romanda remembers the link between Cabriana, Anaiya and Kairen and that Halima was supposedly close to Cabriana and orders Delana and Halima arrested (KoD, Ch. 23).
- She is losing to Lelaine as she basked in revealing Halima too long (TGS, Ch. 8).
- She tries to keep Lelaine from meeting Shemerin (TGS, Ch. 26).
- A Bubble of Evil hits the tent and Sharan four-spine roaches crawl through the floor (TGS, Ch. 26).
- She ponders if she would be willing to bow to Elaida and put on an Accepted dress if it would make the Tower whole (TGS, Ch. 26).
- Romanda is the first to retake the oaths and prove she is not Black Ajah (TGS, Ch. 43).
- Romanda puts forth a motion to support Egwene's plan of attacking the White Tower once the Black Ajah have been purged (TGS, Ch. 43).
- Romanda is present for Nynaeve's raising and votes yes (ToM, Ch. 20).
- Romanda keeps her seat after the reunification and plots against Egwene to take back some of the Hall's power. She suggests the Hall taking over the prosecution of the war, the Tower Guard and Bryne's armies. She stands for Egwene's suggestion that they do that and Egwene takes control over relations with monarchs (ToM, Ch. 27).
- Romanda and all the other Sitters present agree to stand for Egwene's proposal that the Amyrlin and all Sitters be given ample opportunity to attend any sitting of the Hall (ToM, Ch. 27).
- She is one of the five Aes Sedai Egwene chooses for the meeting with Rand at the Field of Merrilor (AMoL, Ch. 5).
- While most of the Yellows go to Mayene, Romanda and a few others remain for battlefield Healing (AMoL, Ch. 20).
- When the Sharans arrive, she ignores Egwene's order to release the Power and is targeted and killed (AMoL, Ch. 20).
Romanda and Lelaine are the two most powerful women in the Hall. As such, they continually try to undermine the other (TPoD, Ch. 16). In fact, the only reason that they both stood to raise Egwene was to ensure that the other was not raised in Egwene's place (LoC, Ch. 37). The two Sitters always argue when they are forced to be in the same space (CoT, Ch. 20).
Romanda does not like Sheriam because she thinks that the Blue sister has too much sway in the Hall. Romanda and Lelaine worked together to decrease her influence and for this, Sheriam dislikes both Sitters (ACoS, Ch. 8).
Romanda has been trying to guide Egwene since the day she took the staff and stole (LoC, Ch. 36). However, as Egwene has matured and grown into the stole, Romanda has been forced to admit, albeit very grudgingly, that Egwene is the Amyrlin Seat in truth and not just in name (CoT, Ch. 30).
Romanda offered to take both Faolain and Theodrin under her protection when they were raised to the shawl (ACoS, Ch. 11). Theodrin took her up on her offer, though not for the reasons that Romanda might think. Theodrin swore fealty to Egwene and the young Amyrlin asked her to spy on Romanda for her (CoT, Ch. 19).
Romanda does not like Elaida but she doesn't think that she is Black Ajah (ACoS, Ch. 8).
Magla, Saroiya and Varilin follow Romanda's lead in the Hall (TPoD, Ch. 16).
As the oldest Sitter in the Hall-in-exile, Romanda has some authority over the other Sitters. She has the right to sit closest to Egwene and the right to speak first in the Hall (TPoD, Ch. 18; CoT, Ch. 19).
Strengths and Talents
Romanda is strong in the One Power, as strong as Lelaine, Garenia and Rainyn (ACoS, Ch. 9; ACoS, Ch. 23; TPoD, Ch. 2). She is weaker than Egwene, Elayne, Nynaeve, Metarra and Talaan (ACoS, Ch. 9; ACoS, Ch. 23). Romanda is stronger than Reanne and most Aes Sedai, including Siuan after she is healed, Aeldene, Sheriam, Kwamesa and Kiruna (ACoS, Ch. 11; ACoS, Ch. 23).
- Romanda is old. She is the oldest Sitter in Salidar (LoC, Ch. 15).
- Romanda wanted Logain to be gentled after Nynaeve Healed him (LoC, Ch. 54).
- Romanda gave Egwene many pretty clothes when she believed that she was young enough to be impressed by such things (ACoS, Ch. 9).
- Romanda gave Egwene a maid, Meri. It is almost certain that she uses Meri to spy on Egwene (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Romanda believed that the Amyrlin's eyes-and-ears should be under the Hall's control (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Romanda speaks with a high-pitched voice (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Strength in the One Power is very important to Romanda (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Romanda believes that the way to root out Black sisters is to put every sister to the question (ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Romanda is almost always the first Sitter to arrive when the Hall is sitting (CoT, Ch. 19).
- Romanda does not like the fact that Egwene gave permission for negotiations with the Tower Sitters to take place (CoT, Ch. 30).
- Romanda enjoys frivolous books such as The Flame, the Blade and the Heart as a distraction (KoD, Ch. 23).
"Before resigning to go into a country retreat, as many sisters did in age, Romanda had held a chair for the Yellow so long that some said she had had as much power as any Amyrlin she sat under. Being chosen to sit a second time was nearly unheard of, but Romanda was not one to let power reside anywhere outside her own hands if she could manage." (Egwene; A Crown of Swords, Chapter 12)
"Romanda was certain for the Hall as soon as she showed up. I doubt there's a Yellow would dare speak against her for a chair." (Siuan; The Path of Daggers, Chapter 16)
"You know Romanda wanted to be Amyrlin herself once? I've heard it was Tamra getting the stole and staff that made her stalk off into retirement like a gull with her tail feathers clipped." (Siuan; The Path of Daggers, Chapter 18)
"You might have thought she had a beautiful singing voice, if you could imagine Romanda singing. Her face always seemed more set for scolding, at least slightly disapproving." (Egwene; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 19)
"When I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming Aes Sedai. From the day I reached the White Tower, I tried to live as an Aes Sedai. I have lived as Aes Sedai and will die as Aes Sedai." (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 30)
“You are Aes Sedai, no matter what Elaida says” to Shemerin (TGS, Ch. 26)