Temaile Kinderode is an Aes Sedai of the Gray Ajah who is also a member of the Black Ajah (TSR, Ch. 5). She likes to hurt people, enough that another member of the Black Ajah would remark on it (TSR, Ch. 5) and that others would fear her (WH, Ch. 10). In one hundred and thirty years as a member of the Black Ajah, Asne has seldom seen anyone as enthusiastic as Temaile about causing pain (WH, Ch. 10). She was a successful mediator as she liked spreading pain (TFoH, Ch. 18). Her heart included Atuan and Galina (CoT, Prologue). Yukiri felt merely a cool detachment at learning Temaile was Black, possibly, she thought, because she didn't like her (CoT, Prologue). She was captured outisde Caemlyn (KoD, Ch. 33) and killed while trying to escape her prison (ToM, Ch. 23).
She is from Cairhien, fragile looking with big blue eyes which make people trust her (TSR, Ch. 39; TFoH, Ch. 18), short and slight with a foxlike face (TSR, Ch. 52). After leaving the Tower, she takes to wearing clinging robes that Asne considers indecent (WH, Ch. 10).
- She is an Accepted during the Aiel War (NS, Ch. 4).
- She leaves Tar Valon for Tear (The Dragon Reborn).
- In Tear, she talks with Liandrin about something that could harm Rand in Tanchico (TSR, Ch. 5).
- She leaves Tear for Tarabon after Rand takes the Stone.
- Nynaeve accidentally blunders into her and Amathera in Tel'aran'rhiod (TSR, Ch. 53).
- Elayne shields her in the Panarch's palace (TSR, Ch. 54) and knocks her unconscious.
- She got carried away hurting Jorin Arene to such an extent that Chesmal thinks it would be months before he could manage even small tasks (TFoH, Ch. 18).
- Moghedien does something to her and she looks absurdly grateful, and relieved at praise (TFoH, Ch. 18).
- Moghedien keeps her, Liandrin, Asne, Eldrith and Chesmal when she sends the others (Berylla, Marillin, Falion, Rianna, Jeaine and Ispan) on errands (TFoH, Ch. 18).
- She is told by Moghedien to follow her to Ghealdan on horses (TFoH, Ch. 34).
- She holds Moghedien up after Chesmal injures her (TFoH, Ch. 34).
- After Liandrin is shielded by Moghedien, and suggests that they turn on her, Temaile seems to consider this briefly (TFoH, Ch. 34).
- She tortures Liandrin to soften her up (TFoH, Ch. 34).
- After fleeing Samara when Eldrith's Warder finds them, she heads to Caemlyn (WH, Ch. 10).
- She no longer defers to the others and they are too afraid of her to challenge this (WH, Ch. 10).
- She arrives in Caemlyn with Eldrith, Asne and Chesmal and saves Marillin and Ispan (KoD, Ch. 31).
- She is shielded and captured by the Windfinders (KoD, Ch. 32).
- She is freed by Jaq Lounalt (ToM, Ch. 23).
- She is knocked unconscious by Elayne and killed by Mellar so that she cannot be retaken (ToM, Ch. 23).
"Temaile likes to hurt people. She enjoys it." (Amico, The Shadow Rising, Chapter 5)
"She hurts me for no reason except to make me weep. She made me eat an entire trayful of white ice peppers and would not let me drink a drop until I begged on my knees while she laughed! In my dreams she hoists me to the top of the Tower of Morning by my ankles and lets me fall. A dream, but it seems real, and each time she lets me fall screaming a little nearer the ground. And she laughs! She makes me learn lewd dances, and filthy songs, and laughs when she tells me that before they leave she will make me sing and dance to entertain the - " (Amethera, The Shadow Rising, Chapter 54)
"You have never known how high to lift your eyes. ‘Who reaches for the sun will be burned.’ No, I think that I will not be burned for reaching too high. I think that I will do as I am told, and soften you for Evon.” (To Liandrin, The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 34)